10:00-11:30 AM : Welcome Celebration
Meeting ID: 968 8500 4285 Password: 108750
Program Overview – Dr. Barnett
- SURE students
- PAECER students
- What are we doing this summer?
- Partner institutions : UMN, Stanford, BU, Northwestern
- Google calendar
- The website
- Summer media projects
Practice using Mural
Summer 2020 Introduction PAECER/SURE Activity
- Complete this survey about your learning environment this summer
- Join Slack,
- Create your profile
- Join and write a post in the #Introductions channel
- Post something random in #random
- Create an emoji for Slack
- Make an account and register for online courses on VUPace,
- The registration guide can be found here!
OPTIONAL ACTIVITY: We need a logo! Use your creativity to create a logo for this summer’s program.
Submit your logos here!
10:00-11:00 AM: Building our Slack community
Meeting ID: 926 5106 8136 Password: 820518
Slack can be a fun engaging tool for us to build a virtual community and communicate. However, everyone needs to help build this community. Today, we will explore the various functions available in Slack and develop a set of “Slack Rules” to use as we progress through the summer. Our community will need to consider:
- How are the channels going to be organized?
- Team channels?
- Project channels?
- Random stuff channels?
- How should we name the channels?
- Where do we list the Google calendar?
- Where do we list Online Courses?
- What is our community engagement rules?
- What is our community goal for the summer?
- How will we communicate with each other in a respectful way?
- What content is inappropriate? What kind of content is inappropriate?
We will discuss these questions in person and then will create a set of community rules in the Slack channel #communityrules
10:00-11:00 AM: MEDIA PROJECTS: Video Production Overview
Meeting ID: 963 5553 7308 Password: 707364
During this meeting we will be discussing the major products that we will be producing this summer; 10-minute videos/podcasts that synthesis new discoveries in cardiovascular research. During this discussion, Kendra H. Oliver, Ph.D., will give an overview of the video production process as a guideline for producing the media products. We will then have some time to explore currently available media from AHA, NIH, and others and share resources.
Reply to the blog post with three project ideas (with citations) and a link to an inspirational science video *Pro Tip: Start thinking about your first blog post due next Friday on Science Communication. Read this for Kendra’s thoughts*
On Slack, send Kendra a picture and short bio to use for the website
Last day to submit a logo!
10:00-11:00 AM: Program virtual “huddle”
Meeting ID: 921 7339 1580 Password: 529212
This is our weekly check-in to see how everything is going and to address any issues with technology, questions with projects, or other matters.
- Go over the introductory Mural activity
- Finalize our community mission statement
- Determine the best way to recognize people for awesome work (mentors and peers)
- Go over any remaining questions about the media projects
- Discuss the first blog post
- What do you want to hear/learn more about this summer?